Happy Birthday to dear Simon Pegg!
The dear fellow was born Simon John Beckingham on 14 February 1970 in Brockworth, Gloucestershire in the UK. His father was a jazz musician and his mother a civil servant. After going to the local school Simon went to study at Stratford-Upon-Avon College before getting a degree in Drama from the University of Bristol.
After university Simon moved to London where he began his comedic career as a stand-up before getting bit parts in various television series such “Six Pairs of Pants” and “We Know Where You Live”. His breakthrough came when he co-created the cult TV series “Spaced” in 1999 which was directed by Edgar Wright.
Not long after Pegg starred in Shaun of the Dead in 2004 which became his international breakthrough, followed by Hot Fuzz in 2007. Hot Fuzz is still to this day one of the most profitable British comedies ever made. Simon was personally asked by JJ Abrams to play Scotty in Abrams’ Star Trek reboot after Abrams saw his work in Shaun of the Dead. Shortly after, Pegg landed a leading role opposite Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.
5 Unusual Facts You Probably Don’t Know About Simon Pegg
- Played drums in a band called God’s Third Leg as a teenager.
- Appeared as a panelist on the BBC Radio 4 series The 99p Challenge.
- Simon Pegg once accidentally revealed his naked self to his entire family. He made the mistake of showing his parents and siblings a home-made film without censoring the tape’s contents.
- Is godfather to Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow’s daughter Apple.
- He was cast in the role of Benji in Mission: Impossible III (2006) after Ricky Gervais was unable to take the role.
Hugs and Kisses