Hi Boys and Girls!
Today’s Birthday of the Week is dedicated to none other than John Belushi (January 24, 1949 – March 5, 1982), one of the original stars of Saturday Night Live and of course The Blues Brothers. He would have been 63 today, but sadly was found dead aged 33 from a drug overdose at the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles.
John was the original ‘Blues Brother’, and he put the animal into ‘Animal House’. His parents were Albanian immigrant restaurant owners, but John decided to pursue a career in comedy, successfully auditioning for Chicago’s ‘Second City’ comedy troupe.
In the 1960s he was picked to work in National Lampoon’s off-broadway production ‘Lemmings’, before starting on Saturday Night Live in 1975 alongside Chevy Chase. From then on his career skyrocketed, and one of his most well-known roles as the frathouse member Bluto.
However by the early 80s his partying was out of control, and on the 5 March 1982 that he was found dead from a drug overdose at the Chateau Marmont.
John’s legacy lives on to this day however, and Todd Phillips (who directed The Hangover!) is currently developing a biopic of the man, alongside his widow Judith who has come on board as an executive producer. The script will be written by Steven Conrad who also wrote the Pursuit of Happyness.
Facts you Probably Didn’t Know About John Belushi
1. John made $750 a week during his first year on Saturday Night Live.
2. John is buried in Abel’s Hill Cemetery in Chilmark, Massachusetts. His headstone reads: ‘I may be gone, but rock n roll lives on.’
3. John had a few milestones on his 30th birthday in 1979. He had the number one film in the United States,(Animal House), the number one album in the United States (‘Briefcase Full Of Blues’), and Saturday Night Live was the highest-rated late night television show.
4. Ironically he did a sketch on Saturday Night Live where he is an old man going to everyone elses grave, and ironically he was the first of the original cast member to die.
5. John was planning a career as a football coach when he was in high school.
Hugs and Kisses